History & Tradition

 

It took less than a year from the time Philadelphia Quaker Samuel Griscom inspected the wild land he had just inherited to the development and sale, in 1901, of the first 43 lots in Buck Hill Falls.

 

Griscom had sold the land to his friend, Howard M. Jenkins, editor of a Philadelphia newspaper, and to a group of prosperous Philadelphians, for their families and others. It was an opportunity enthusiastically seized and enlarged upon. And, it was not long before the families of well-to-do New Yorkers joined the community. It did not take long before the energetic Buck Hill Falls residents sought to improve their recreational options.

These early Buck Hill Falls residents were a sophisticated, educated and nature-loving group. They were devoted hikers and eager picnickers who relished the splendid forests and sparkling streams. But it was soon apparent that something must be available for those rainy or chilly days that may plague even a paradise such as Buck Hill Falls, so a library was established almost at once. This was immediately followed by the creation of an adult nature club, and another one for children where canoeing, hiking and nature lessons were given. Then, in short order, other facilities were built: a golf course (1907), a swimming pool (1908), and tennis courts (six by 1913). Also in 1913, Buck Hill Falls was one of the first resorts in the area to offer winter sports, such as skiing and tobogganing. By 1922, horseback riding was offered. Nine years later, lawn bowling — now a well-established tradition — was introduced.